« Home | Goa going » | And since everyone has written about this... » | Return on Investment » | Commuting is more like walking with the bike betwe... » | Of "Pseudo Stereotypes" and "Utilitarian Policing" » | Nomadic Life: Modeling the rise and fall of an ad ... » | The other day, while I was having dinner, I was th... » | Warm PBR morning » | The quality of current 'music shows' (Fame Gurukul... » | It is a bizarre fact that people's delusions evolv... » 

Friday, December 23, 2005 

An Announcement

A received a happy news as soon as I came back from Panaji yesterday morning. My uncle, Raghavendra Patil, has got a Kendra Sahitya Academy award for his thoroughly compelling novel Teru. Previously he had got a Rajya Sahitya Academy award for the same novel. Go, read it.

hey! thats great news! :)

I didn't know he was your uncle! So that is where the crusades for the cause of the Arts come from? ;)

Congratulations!!

:D I guess the causal chain is longer, and there are forks too. My granduncle was a very good writer too - Betageri Krishnasharma. He wrote with the penname of 'Anandakanda'. My grandfather used to compose very lyrical 'keerthane's, though he didn't publish much. Another granduncle was a very good painter. He was at JJ school. Then he'd got admission to London School, but didn't go there since crossing the sea was prohibited. My father also writes. He writes essays in the lighter vein (lalita prabandha). He got a state sahitya academy award for his anthology of essays, his first book, 3 years ago. All in all, too much of legacy :D

Looks like I have a celebrity student! ;) I had no idea you came from such an illustrious background!

Now things start getting clearer; I can understand the underlying sense of agony behind your mails better.

The celebrity student is also a potentially good writer.. er... only if he can be a little less lazy :D

"sense of agony behind mails"? Am I missing something here??

Post a Comment

Other Happening Places

Blogroll Me!

Regulars

  • Technocrat: The Serious Slashdot
  • Slashdot
  • Kernel Trap
  • Wikipedia
  • Kannada Wikipedia
  • Wiki News
  • The Hindu-Sunday Literary Review
  • Answers
  • Everything!
  • Metafilter
  • Interesting Links

  • Mathworld
  • Languages of India
  • Paul Graham's Home
  • Malcolm Gladwell's Home
  • Abbreviations
  • The Literature Page
  • The Quotations Page
  • Wiki Books