How do I find out?
A couple of people told me that they cannot access my blog. They even suggested that the possible reason is the 'nasty' underscore in my blog URL. I find that too unreasonable to believe. But how do I find out? Can anyone who sees this try and explain? But then, even this plea is just as much worth as a 'araNya rOdana' (a wasted lamentation?). This is because, hardly anybody visits this place, and the one(s) that do(es) have had no problems anyway. Moreover, the thought that perhaps the reason why nobody visits this place is not because they don't want to, but because they can't, brings to me a mixed feeling of solace and frustration!
How do I find out? I thought I'd take the help of Y! messenger. I didn't want to ask people directly to check if my blog URL works. That would not be very decent. Instead, I started working on a few ideas.
How do I find out? I thought I'd take the help of Y! messenger. I didn't want to ask people directly to check if my blog URL works. That would not be very decent. Instead, I started working on a few ideas.
- Idea 1 - Put a concise status message, "http://sanket_patil.blogspot.com". People who are on my list and online would click on it. Someone might just get back to me with a 'dude.. the link's broken'. I shot this idea down immediately because it would look like I am advertising my blog. No. I am not, and I dont want to give a false impression.
- Idea 2 - Put a status message that looks more like a plea, "Can someone please tell me if the _ in my blog URL is causing problems accessing. Here it is, http://sanket_patil.blogspot.com. Honest! I am not advertising." This looked better but was promptly shotdown since it sounded luring yet suspicious, like some of those spam mails.
- Idea 3 - This took a bit of time. I wanted something that sounds honest and provocative. Something that shows despair but not desperation. I thought about it and finally put this up, "How do I find out if the _ in my blog URL is causing problems without giving an impression that I am advertising?"


Thanks for reassuring. Well, it's not just to know if the URL is working fine, it's to make someone go 'lol'. I guess that purpose is served.
Posted by
Sanket |
10:23 PM, May 28, 2005
i dont think that _ shud be a problem at all!! and hey! advertising ur blog is not a bad thing to do. at least i dont think it's bad. i do it sometimes without feeling bad about it. after all, its on public domain and needs to be made known about.
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:43 PM, May 29, 2005
Hmm.. alright. The post isn't as amusing as I thought it was. Well, anyway doesn't matter. I am an advocate of serious fun.
Posted by
Sanket |
11:54 PM, May 29, 2005
Sanket, it is a problem - My office's proxy server doesn't think _'s should be part of a url, so I can't read it from there. Since I do 95% of my blog-viewing from there, well, I have trouble reading your page.
Dunno if it's feasible for you to move, but I'm sure this is a issue for quite a few people.
Cheers!
Posted by
J Ramanand |
8:06 AM, June 05, 2005
Uh oh..! Thanks for pointing that out Ramanand. I don't know how feasible moving this to a new site is. But let me consider. Let me also explore the possibility of creating an alias that doesn't have an underscore.
Posted by
Sanket |
12:33 AM, June 06, 2005
This is very interesting site...
»
Posted by
Anonymous |
2:46 AM, July 13, 2006
Excellent, love it!
»
Posted by
Anonymous |
5:57 PM, July 21, 2006
Nice site!
[url=http://mwcmdlct.com/wbbu/lnsh.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://yrbuibmd.com/inxo/zfwp.html]Cool site[/url]
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:22 PM, July 25, 2006
Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:26 PM, July 25, 2006
Nice site!
http://mwcmdlct.com/wbbu/lnsh.html | http://mbkifoxl.com/acsq/gfvc.html
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:26 PM, July 25, 2006