« Home | Helmet » | Futility! » | Half full or Half empty? » | The English Patient » | How do you tell relatives that you are not interes... » | Shedding Modernism » | N K -- Ramanujan » | A worldwide survey was conducted by the UN. The on... » | Computers and craze » | Some people know so much (of Economics), and some ... » 

Monday, February 06, 2006 

Cat and Mouse

After Michael Ondaatje's The English Patient, I picked up Gunter Grass' Cat and Mouse. The fact that both have strong nexus with WWII is coincidental.

The style Grass uses in Cat and Mouse is so starkly different from Ondaatje's, specially after the long time I took to complete the previous novel. In The English Patient, the characters are too solemn, too melancholy. They seem to be too indulgent and take themselves too seriously. The author also is involved with his novel and the characters. All of these to good effect. On the other hand, in Cat and Mouse, the author's narration is that of a rustic, and at times even comical nonchalance. They are comical in a comical way, and serious in a comical way. Again all of these to (reasonably) good effect (thus far). Cat and Mouse is a story of a German wartime legend as recollected by an old classmate of his.

On a related note, have read one fifth of Memories of My Melancholy Whores during the last two brief visits to Landmark. What else can you do if a book of 120 odd pages is overpriced at Rs. 425? How I wished Landmark had some place where one could sit down. Marquez has written a novella after several years. I think he hadn't written a novel since Love in the Time of Cholera. This novella seems to be pretty easily accessible. So, I think it will be very popular. Perhaps that is why I have not yet found it as compelling as his other works. Of course, there is some unmistakable vintage Marquez stuff like - "Sex is an excuse for not getting enough love". I guess I should make a long visit next weekend and finish it.

I am reading Crabwalk right now...

Just did an "iti-shree" and dozed off last night. Am gonna take it up full swing from today.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Other Happening Places

Blogroll Me!

Regulars

  • Technocrat: The Serious Slashdot
  • Slashdot
  • Kernel Trap
  • Wikipedia
  • Kannada Wikipedia
  • Wiki News
  • The Hindu-Sunday Literary Review
  • Answers
  • Everything!
  • Metafilter
  • Interesting Links

  • Mathworld
  • Languages of India
  • Paul Graham's Home
  • Malcolm Gladwell's Home
  • Abbreviations
  • The Literature Page
  • The Quotations Page
  • Wiki Books