« Home | ಅಕಶೇರುಕ ಚಂಪಾ ಮತ್ತು ಸರೀಸೃಪ ಅನಂತಮೂರ್ತಿ » | Reading Habits » | Istanbul and Money » | This is an excerpt from a story. Anyone who actual... » | The Fantastic Calvino » | Ultimately... » | Why PhD? » | However much I hate to admit it, attention economy... » | Kids » | Dhrupad » 

Friday, March 24, 2006 

Mediocrity

It's not that I despise mediocrity. No one can. I have a as-yet-not-so-well-founded theory on mediocrity, why is it necessary and suchlike. Right now, I'll only give some crude ideas.

As I said, no one can despise or reject mediocrity. Everyone has an element of mediocrity. More precisely, each one is made up of a combination of mediocrity and "goodness". It goes without saying that this composition widely varies.

It is important that one lets out one's mediocrity. You see, mediocrity and goodness share the same "space". If you do not let out your mediocrity, your goodness will suffocate due to cramming. So, your goodness, instead of developing and prospering, will start diminishing. You may argue that, the same can happen to mediocrity. But let me tell you. It won't, for a very simple reason. Unlike goodness, mediocrity, by definition, hardly needs any resources. If goodness has to survive it needs a lot of resources like aptitude, concentration, brain, logic, reasoning, mental/physical energy and so on. Theoretically, mediocrity can survive without any of these. And very much like a weed, has the knack to prosper by consuming some of the resources, if you don't let it out periodically. If you let out mediocrity, the goodness can heave a sigh of relief and get to some business. Letting out mediocrity is, that is why, important. Letting out, mind you, not eradicating. There is no such thing as eradicating medoicrity. In fact, it should not be. "Why?" is a big question that I shall answer some other time.

There is another sound reason for advocating this. Most people want themselves to be taken seriously. However, everyone has only a limited attention. In other words, each one has only a limited amount (very less, in fact) time and energy (and all the resources that I mentioned previosuly) to spare for others. So, it is imperative you ensure you don't want your mediocrity to be taken seriously. This is important because, if people spend their time taking your mediocrity seriously, they will not be left with much time to regard your goodness! Given the fact that a lot of people have high mediocrity and low goodness, chances are high that their goodness never catches anybody's attention. That, evidently, is very unfortunate on everyone.

So, while letting out mediocrity is very essential, it is equally essential that you give out enough hints to people that you don't necessarily need to be taken seriously. There will be quite a few people who will still manage to take it seriously. That's their bad luck.

Incidentally, many people use the word stupidity loosely. What they call as stupid in most cases is just mediocre. And I wouldn't go so far as to address mediocrity as stupidity. They are actually different things, though the differences are subtle largely. We can take that up some other time.
----

There are several ways to let out one's mediocrity. I won't delve into that. One particular avenue is very effective. In fact, somehow people seem to have understood my theory, or at least they are instinctivly letting out their mediocrity. Through their-won't you guess-blogs. It's not at all surprising. Right? They are an extremely effective medium. So, go and blog away. Save your goodness, the serious stuff, and nurture it well.
----

Does that pretty much explain the existence of this blog? Only this one, not the other one. On the other one, I demand to be taken seriously. I too have that right, you know. As a matter of fact, I was considering closing down this blog. But it is unfair to expect that people take me seriously all the time. Plus I got to give my
medicrity a chance, like everyone else. So, I shall continue this.

So, my dear readers (all three of you) do come back and spare some of your mediocre moments. However much goodness you have, it is not advisable to take yourself too seriously all the while.

it is not advisable to take yourself too seriously all the while

true. i decided not to close down my blog for the same reason.

No.. but since you don't update your blog much, it simply means, well, you don't have much mediocrity to let out.

Post a Comment

Other Happening Places

Blogroll Me!

Regulars

  • Technocrat: The Serious Slashdot
  • Slashdot
  • Kernel Trap
  • Wikipedia
  • Kannada Wikipedia
  • Wiki News
  • The Hindu-Sunday Literary Review
  • Answers
  • Everything!
  • Metafilter
  • Interesting Links

  • Mathworld
  • Languages of India
  • Paul Graham's Home
  • Malcolm Gladwell's Home
  • Abbreviations
  • The Literature Page
  • The Quotations Page
  • Wiki Books