« Home | Dhrupad » | Is it possible to outsource survival? I am ready t... » | pAyasam!! » | Cat and Mouse » | Helmet » | Futility! » | Half full or Half empty? » | The English Patient » | How do you tell relatives that you are not interes... » | Shedding Modernism » 

Saturday, February 18, 2006 

Kids

Yesterday my uncle asked me to get a few things for him. As I was getting ready to go out, my sister's (cousin) son, a 10 year old kid, started jumping all over the place insisting I take him along. I wasn't too keen but had to oblige as my sister and others had already decided by themselves that I'll be taking him out!

It took a bit of searching to find some things that I had to buy. While doing that I thought may be I should get the kid something, a sweet, or an ice cream or something. It was pretty hot moreover. So, I asked the kid if he wants an ice cream, and he said he wouldn't mind it. He chose a black currant ice cream. While he was at it, I casually asked if he liked it, and if it is good. I was expecting one of those typical kid like responses - "Yeaah", "Naaah", or some other similar utterance. The kid hardly responded for a moment. I thought probably he hasn't heard me, or that he is too busy relishing his ice cream. In any case, I repeated the question and waited for his response. After a few seconds, the kid uttered, looking elsewhere, with absolute nonchalance, "I have eaten [this] enough times; this and all others..". It suggested this - "Don't be sooo proud just because you bought me this cheap ice cream. Big deal!". (You might think I am overinterpreting it. But no. I know the kid very well, and this is not the first time. There is another incident that I recall that happened when this kid was much younger, 5-6 years old. I and my father had taken this kid out, and this kid had suggested that he doesn't want to eat in a Darshini!). I was, of course, irritated by that display of arrogance. But shrugged it off immediately. You can't reason out things like these with kids. Can you? You just have to leave all your dignity at home if you take some kid out.
-----

And aren't parents afraid of their kids metamorphosing into one of those obnoxious cartoon characters due to the kids' ibsessive watching. Whenever I see kids watching those cartoons I am reminded of Kafka. Such Kafkaesque kids, I tell you!
-----

By the way, have you tried Fresh Lime Pudina juice? Try it. It's really refreshing.

Kids are complex creatures. There could be several reasons why they behave like that.

It could be for obtaining a feeling of power in response to feeling powerless in front of their teachers or peers.

It could simply be some new attitude that they are trying out to see how it fits them. (They may eventually outgrow or become bored of their own attitudes).

It could be because of deep-rooted fear of poverty or helplessness. Kids would confront such fears by denial -- by pretending that they don't exist and pretending to be rich and/or touch.

It could be a host of other things... We cannot realistically expect maturity of thought from kids (sometimes we cannot expect it from our students itself! :D)

...pretending to be rich and/or touch.

I mean

...pretending to be rich and/or tough.

sometimes we cannot expect it from our students itself!

Hmm... :-? should I start introspecting and all? ;)

Hmm... :-? should I start introspecting and all? ;)

No harm introspecting.. but PhD scholars are not students in the strictest sense of the term. Actual students consider them too "ancient." :D

Post a Comment