pAyasam!!
Why can't Kannada speaking people (mostly from haLe Mysore and Bangalore) say pAyasa (ಪಾಯಸ) and prasAda (ಪ್ರಸಾದ)? Do they become more tasty if you add the anunAsika and say pAyasaM (ಪಾಯಸಂ) and prasAdaM(ಪ್ರಸಾದಂ)? Or guess they want to pay their tribute to Sanskrit and/or Tamizh.
And what on earth are khIrupAyasa (ಖೀರುಪಾಯಸ), lADuMDe (ಲಾಡುಂಡೆ), and, how can I forget, rice bhAt (ರೈಸ್ ಭಾತ್)?
Plus this. I know drAviDa doesn't really have mahAprANa. Hardly any native Kannada words have a mahAprANa. However, bhavya (ಭವ್ಯ) and bhArata (ಭಾರತ) are Sanskrit words, and the phrase is not bavya bArata (ಬವ್ಯ ಬಾರತ).
And finally, just for the record, my name cannot doesnot should not end with an 'h'. Sorry about that.
And what on earth are khIrupAyasa (ಖೀರುಪಾಯಸ), lADuMDe (ಲಾಡುಂಡೆ), and, how can I forget, rice bhAt (ರೈಸ್ ಭಾತ್)?
Plus this. I know drAviDa doesn't really have mahAprANa. Hardly any native Kannada words have a mahAprANa. However, bhavya (ಭವ್ಯ) and bhArata (ಭಾರತ) are Sanskrit words, and the phrase is not bavya bArata (ಬವ್ಯ ಬಾರತ).
And finally, just for the record, my name cannot doesnot should not end with an 'h'. Sorry about that.


i see what u r saying...
i am mandhar to a lot of people...
yelli byaada alli sheeLudu, yelli beku alli sheeLohangilla... yen maadti?!
Posted by
Mandar |
12:03 AM, February 08, 2006
Sure. But still names is one thing. That can be ok. But this fetish for pAyasaM etc irritates me.
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:09 AM, February 08, 2006
mainly because of cooks from Tamilnadu. Whaaat??
'rasa' and 'ruchi' are different, dude. And where did 'rasam' come from?
People use 'pAyasam' instead of 'pAyasa' because there's something superior about 'pAyasam'.
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:18 AM, February 08, 2006
I feel that u are generalizing this. Maybe you have spoken to people who mother tongue is not kannada. I am from Bangalore, and never have i noticed anyone using pAayasam and words like that. It is pAayasa and we call it like that. I also feel that people don't see it as a superiority issue too...
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:42 AM, February 18, 2006