Why PhD?
Dude: Hi maga! Howwaaryoo?
Chap: Hey! I am good. How are you?
D: I am kewl! So.. tell me. Long time no see.
C: Hehe. Yeah! What's up? Where are you working?
D: I am working in BigBucks Inc.. You know that Barista next to the Pizza Hut near Zeta mall..
C: Umm.. I reckon..
D: My office is just opposite that. Where are you working? You must be making big money now. After all, you were one of the ulTI guys in the class. Bejjaan funDa and all..
C: Hee.. nothing like that. You were the funDa guy. Topper and all.
D: He.. that and all don't tell me. Stop simply choDing.. Where are you working?
C: Err.. I don't really work. I am doing research at Awesome Ideas Research Institute. It's in..
D: Researcharraa?! Oho.. that's why gaDDa giDDa. Awwesomme!
C: Ha.. nothing like that. That's just because I am too lazy.
D: Hmm.. so what research are you doing there?
C: Well.. I am doing my PhD in #blah blah#.
D: What guru.. all OHT*. Anyway.. why are you doing PhD in India?
C: Umm.. well why not? We are doing good work here.
D: No no. Not that way. But in US you will have world class infrastructure. World class professors.
C: Hmm.. yeah.. perhaps.
D: Then? Didn't try for US?
C: Well..
D: Anyway, it's not easy to get into good US graduate schools also.
C: ... well, you see we do research in Computer Science. And specially we basically come up with ideas, discuss them, theorise them, develop conceptual models and implement proofs of concepts. We don't really need a supercomputing infrastructure or something. Professors here are as good as anybody. Moreover, there is nothing called "world class". It's either class or no class.
D: Hey.. don't take otherwise, OK? I didn't say that for you. You are of course capable. No offence meant.
C: ... Sure, of course. What else?
D: Hmm.. so.. you didn't work after BE?
C: No. I did my MTech.
D: Oh.. you went for PG directly! Yeah.. I know. Job market was so down then. I also got a job only after 2 months.
C: Oh..ok.
D: You know my father also told me to do PG. He said your starting salary and position would be better after a PG. I said I'll consider that after 2 years of job. Then you will have experience and a better perspective.
C: Ok...
D: Now I have more than 2 years of experience. I am making good money. See.. if I go for MTech now it will take 2 years. At the same time I can also get 2 years more experience in the industry. Which option is better? Which one do you suggest?
C: Better in what way?
D: No.. do you get a better starting salary after an MTech?
C: Umm.. yes. Chance are high.
D: So, what about PhD?
C: What 'what about PhD'?
D: I mean, do you get paid even better after a PhD?
C: ...
C: Actually.. NO. Chances are high that you will get paid worse...
D: Whaat?! Why??
C: ... Sometimes worse than a BTech graduate. Some PhDs tend to remain in academia. Obviously it doesn't pay you much. A lot of others go for some research position in the industry. Even that doesn't pay you as much as mainstream software business.
D: Strange! Then why are you doing a PhD, poor chap?!
Chap: True, kewl dude. I realised it just now as I was talking to you. You took the right decision and I took the wrong one. We should have met earlier!
Dude: ...
(* For the uninformed OHT is Over the Head Transmission)
Chap: Hey! I am good. How are you?
D: I am kewl! So.. tell me. Long time no see.
C: Hehe. Yeah! What's up? Where are you working?
D: I am working in BigBucks Inc.. You know that Barista next to the Pizza Hut near Zeta mall..
C: Umm.. I reckon..
D: My office is just opposite that. Where are you working? You must be making big money now. After all, you were one of the ulTI guys in the class. Bejjaan funDa and all..
C: Hee.. nothing like that. You were the funDa guy. Topper and all.
D: He.. that and all don't tell me. Stop simply choDing.. Where are you working?
C: Err.. I don't really work. I am doing research at Awesome Ideas Research Institute. It's in..
D: Researcharraa?! Oho.. that's why gaDDa giDDa. Awwesomme!
C: Ha.. nothing like that. That's just because I am too lazy.
D: Hmm.. so what research are you doing there?
C: Well.. I am doing my PhD in #blah blah#.
D: What guru.. all OHT*. Anyway.. why are you doing PhD in India?
C: Umm.. well why not? We are doing good work here.
D: No no. Not that way. But in US you will have world class infrastructure. World class professors.
C: Hmm.. yeah.. perhaps.
D: Then? Didn't try for US?
C: Well..
D: Anyway, it's not easy to get into good US graduate schools also.
C: ... well, you see we do research in Computer Science. And specially we basically come up with ideas, discuss them, theorise them, develop conceptual models and implement proofs of concepts. We don't really need a supercomputing infrastructure or something. Professors here are as good as anybody. Moreover, there is nothing called "world class". It's either class or no class.
D: Hey.. don't take otherwise, OK? I didn't say that for you. You are of course capable. No offence meant.
C: ... Sure, of course. What else?
D: Hmm.. so.. you didn't work after BE?
C: No. I did my MTech.
D: Oh.. you went for PG directly! Yeah.. I know. Job market was so down then. I also got a job only after 2 months.
C: Oh..ok.
D: You know my father also told me to do PG. He said your starting salary and position would be better after a PG. I said I'll consider that after 2 years of job. Then you will have experience and a better perspective.
C: Ok...
D: Now I have more than 2 years of experience. I am making good money. See.. if I go for MTech now it will take 2 years. At the same time I can also get 2 years more experience in the industry. Which option is better? Which one do you suggest?
C: Better in what way?
D: No.. do you get a better starting salary after an MTech?
C: Umm.. yes. Chance are high.
D: So, what about PhD?
C: What 'what about PhD'?
D: I mean, do you get paid even better after a PhD?
C: ...
C: Actually.. NO. Chances are high that you will get paid worse...
D: Whaat?! Why??
C: ... Sometimes worse than a BTech graduate. Some PhDs tend to remain in academia. Obviously it doesn't pay you much. A lot of others go for some research position in the industry. Even that doesn't pay you as much as mainstream software business.
D: Strange! Then why are you doing a PhD, poor chap?!
Chap: True, kewl dude. I realised it just now as I was talking to you. You took the right decision and I took the wrong one. We should have met earlier!
Dude: ...
(* For the uninformed OHT is Over the Head Transmission)


Niiiice. :D
Oh, and I had no idea what OHT meant. :D
Posted by
Mandar |
12:34 PM, February 23, 2006
My God!! the world hasn't changed at all! this could just as well been flicked from one of the conversations from *my* friends circle 12 years ago...
;-)
Posted by
Srinath Srinivasa |
8:20 AM, February 25, 2006