« Home | What is your worth? » | Mediocrity » | ಅಕಶೇರುಕ ಚಂಪಾ ಮತ್ತು ಸರೀಸೃಪ ಅನಂತಮೂರ್ತಿ » | Reading Habits » | Istanbul and Money » | This is an excerpt from a story. Anyone who actual... » | The Fantastic Calvino » | Ultimately... » | Why PhD? » | However much I hate to admit it, attention economy... » 

Thursday, March 30, 2006 

Redundant Realisation

I seem to have developed this strange and uncanny habit of using two nearly synonymic or closely related words through conjunctions and/or disjunctions where only one of them is adequate and cogent. For example, consider... well! Never mind.

Here's a sentence I'd read from a student once: "When more than one multiple jobs arrive simultaneously at the same time, the chances of the probability of an error are high. So, therefore we need redundant duplication."

Heh. Mine are much less obvious. I remember evaluating students' assignments and papers when I was a TA. It was fun.

well here's the same effect without even the use of conjunctions/disjunctions....use of synonymic elements right within a word: more than once, i have caught myself off-guard speaking out of my own mouth the structure '.... irregardless of ...'. take notice... "IRregardless of .." ^_^

Ankur: Haha, that was good. I sometimes "combine" words. Once I said "day afternoon" to mean "day after tommorrow afternoon". Happens. ;)

Btw, thanks for stopping by.

Post a Comment

Other Happening Places

Blogroll Me!

Regulars

  • Technocrat: The Serious Slashdot
  • Slashdot
  • Kernel Trap
  • Wikipedia
  • Kannada Wikipedia
  • Wiki News
  • The Hindu-Sunday Literary Review
  • Answers
  • Everything!
  • Metafilter
  • Interesting Links

  • Mathworld
  • Languages of India
  • Paul Graham's Home
  • Malcolm Gladwell's Home
  • Abbreviations
  • The Literature Page
  • The Quotations Page
  • Wiki Books