Life Update
Reporting a little late. I've decided that I won't be going for internship in the 4th sem, but will be continuing with my research (?!) over here. There were a few thoughts that got formed and pretty much influenced my decision. I've given some of them here. They are in pseudo-random order.
1. I've done some progress in my research. dont want to stop it abruptly. That wont help me. That wont help the lab as well.
2. I want to take some time off frm this process of 'learning' one thing after another and decide on 'what is that I want to do?' or 'what is it that I expect from the industry/my career?'. This includes some specifics like - I want to decide if I want to play with low level systems programming or with algorithms (data engineering). Of course this decision is probably valid only for 2-3 years. But still those years are pretty crucial for me.
3. Not too many people left in the lab, and hardly any juniors are in (strangely!). Unlike us who got into the lab right from the first sem, our juniors are still waiting I guess. So, probably I can also help in their induction process.
4. I feel I have not done enough in the last 2 semesters (or rather not 'completed' enough, though have done some good work). So hopefully I can somehow make up a little.
5. I can take a little 'time please' from this wild rush and rejuvenate my skills and strengthen them.
6. Hopefully, I'll also have a couple of publications, *only* if I do some really good work, that is.
7. I can attend the PDA (parallel and distributed algorithms) course again.Prof. Srinath handles it, and it's fun.
8. They'll be paying me 8000/month. Unless I get into one of those HUGE companies that's what I'd be getting anyway. Well... actually no... they all pay well.. even lesser companies. But this is quite enough to sustain me and spend judiciously on the things that I want.
9. I also hope against hope that those (2 or 3) short stories and that novel, which have been constructing themselves deep within, might escape and try to attain 'mukti'.
10. I am *not* looking for a PhD (at least, not now). Not looking for anything in particular. For me this is like another of those strolls I take... without any purpose... without looking for anything in particular.
There are possibly a few more points that are too difficult to express clearly. But this I guess is good enough :-).
Of course, I am also aware of what I might possibly 'miss'. I know, I am saying bye bye to Google, Yahoo, Intel et al even before I got a chance (and I am not letting them say 'good bye' to me;-) ). In June, I might possibly need to 'chose' among a set of lesser companies.
But still, the points I listed above are weighing higher, and I have chosen to continue. I am also hoping that I'll do a really good job and position myself, so that I can possibly demand. Well... and then, who knows :-), it might just work ...
1. I've done some progress in my research. dont want to stop it abruptly. That wont help me. That wont help the lab as well.
2. I want to take some time off frm this process of 'learning' one thing after another and decide on 'what is that I want to do?' or 'what is it that I expect from the industry/my career?'. This includes some specifics like - I want to decide if I want to play with low level systems programming or with algorithms (data engineering). Of course this decision is probably valid only for 2-3 years. But still those years are pretty crucial for me.
3. Not too many people left in the lab, and hardly any juniors are in (strangely!). Unlike us who got into the lab right from the first sem, our juniors are still waiting I guess. So, probably I can also help in their induction process.
4. I feel I have not done enough in the last 2 semesters (or rather not 'completed' enough, though have done some good work). So hopefully I can somehow make up a little.
5. I can take a little 'time please' from this wild rush and rejuvenate my skills and strengthen them.
6. Hopefully, I'll also have a couple of publications, *only* if I do some really good work, that is.
7. I can attend the PDA (parallel and distributed algorithms) course again.Prof. Srinath handles it, and it's fun.
8. They'll be paying me 8000/month. Unless I get into one of those HUGE companies that's what I'd be getting anyway. Well... actually no... they all pay well.. even lesser companies. But this is quite enough to sustain me and spend judiciously on the things that I want.
9. I also hope against hope that those (2 or 3) short stories and that novel, which have been constructing themselves deep within, might escape and try to attain 'mukti'.
10. I am *not* looking for a PhD (at least, not now). Not looking for anything in particular. For me this is like another of those strolls I take... without any purpose... without looking for anything in particular.
There are possibly a few more points that are too difficult to express clearly. But this I guess is good enough :-).
Of course, I am also aware of what I might possibly 'miss'. I know, I am saying bye bye to Google, Yahoo, Intel et al even before I got a chance (and I am not letting them say 'good bye' to me;-) ). In June, I might possibly need to 'chose' among a set of lesser companies.
But still, the points I listed above are weighing higher, and I have chosen to continue. I am also hoping that I'll do a really good job and position myself, so that I can possibly demand. Well... and then, who knows :-), it might just work ...

